A massive 62% of voters say they either disagree or are unsure they know the key policy differences between Labour and the Conservatives, a new Omnisis poll has revealed.
While 39% of people said they agreed they knew the differences between the two main parties, 19% disagreed and 43% said they neither agreed nor disagreed – a total of 62%.
Meanwhile, as the Conservatives suffered heavy losses in three by-elections this week, there was little to choose between Rishi Sunak and Sir Keir Starmer in the Omnisis ‘Best Prime Minister’ tracker, with Starmer on 35% and Sunak on 30%.
Brian Cooper, Managing Director of Omnisis, said: “It’s a fascinating dichotomy. Although Labour have a healthy lead across various voter intention polls, the gap between Sir Keir Starmer and Rishi Sunak in our Best Prime Minister tracker remains close, with only five points separating the two leaders.
“That got us wondering about whether people know what the key differences between them are, so we asked the question. The results are really interesting because it reveals a widespread lack of clarity on what the main policy differences are and shows that both parties still have work to do on clearly communicating what they stand for.”
ON CLIMATE CHANGE: HOW DO VOTERS FEEL?
As southern Europe, China and parts of the United States were scorched under a climate change-fuelled heatwave this week, we asked voters whether they agreed or disagreed with a range of statements:
- Is climate change real
77% agreed, 9% disagreed, 13% said neither and 1% didn’t know.
- Is there anything you can do about it
57% agreed, 13% disagreed, 27% said neither and 2% didn’t know.
- Do you worry about climate change
60% agreed, 17% disagreed, 22% said neither and 1% didn’t know.
- Is the UK Government doing enough to tackle climate change
45% disagreed, 22% agreed, 29% said neither and 4% didn’t know.
- Finally, is it too late to solve climate change
46% disagreed, 22% agreed, 29% said neither and 4% didn’t know.
VOTER INTENTION TRACKERS
Our weekly trackers remained fairly static this week with Labour maintaining a 22-point lead over the Conservatives. Rishi Sunak’s net approval rating remained poor at -14…
ON VOTER INTENTION
- Lab 47% (NC)
- Con 25% (NC)
- LD 10% (NC)
- SNP 3% (NC)
- Reform UK 7% (+1)
- Green 5% (NC)
ON PRIME MINISTER’S APPROVAL
- Approve: 29% (+2)
- Disapprove: 43% (+1)
- Neither: 28% (-2)
ON BEST PRIME MINISTER
- Sir Keir Starmer: 35% (+1)
- Rishi Sunak: 30% (+3)
- Don't Know: 34% (-5)
ON BREXIT SENTIMENT
- Stay Out: 32% (-2)
- Re-join: 48% (NC)
- Don't know or not voting: 20% (+2)
Excluding don’t know and would not vote
- Stay Out: 40% (-1)
- Re-join: 60% (+1)
This week’s poll was conducted on 20th-21st July 2023, questioned 1,380 people and is weighted to a national representative population.
Tables will be posted here: https://www.omnisis.co.uk/poll-results